May 21, 2009

Festival of Chefs 2009: Donna Dooher


Name: Donna Dooher

Restaurant: Mildred’s Temple Kitchen

Number of appearances at FOC: This will be my fourth appearance


Why do you enjoy participating in the FOC? I’ve been coming to the Cheese Boutique since I moved to Toronto 25 years ago. From the very beginning I’ve enjoyed the quality and selection of cheese, bread and other provisions as well as the care the entire Pristine Family demonstrates through their pride and passion for the shop. It’s an honour to be part of the festival.

How did you get started as a chef? I graduated from Culinary School at Algonquin College in Ottawa and worked my way through various kitchens in Ottawa and Toronto, unbeknownst to me at the time that I would become part of such a vibrant industry with so many opportunities.

Do you have a food philosophy, if so, what? Spend more time sourcing your food, cooking your food and enjoying your food.


Are you active in any food movements? We strive to embrace the philosophy of Slow Food. We make a concerted effort in our restaurant kitchen to source local, seasonal food and support our surrounding farming communities.

What’s your favourite way to incorporate cheese in your dishes? In most cases cheese is best served on its own. I’ve discovered cedar jelly and pickled walnuts at the Cheese Boutique and both are great complements to cheese.

Donna Dooher will be at Cheese Boutique this Sunday, May 24, between noon and 4pm to demonstrate how to whip up a fabulous dish with Cheese Boutique ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment