May 1, 2009

Festival of Chefs 2009: Anthony Walsh

Name: Anthony Walsh


Restaurant: Canoe


Number of appearances at FOC: 4


Why do you enjoy participating in the FOC? My history with the Store... and more importantly the Family. We are like minded people, and I want to do my part in showing how important, fascinating as well as fun cooking can be.


How did you get started as a chef? After university... I wasn't convinced academia was for me. Believe it or not, I was a waiter... and not a very patient one. Coming from a large family, food was always at the forefront, regardless of its simplicity - I learned from my mother that the intent of food and feeding people - both stangers or not so strangers, was the most important thing. Care about the people, care about the food, and things always have a way of working out... “The Art of the Possible.”


Do you have a food philosophy, if so, what? As a Chef, philosophies are "cute" when you have some sort of technical competency. Simplicity comes in the restaurant business with experience. For me, less is more; be smart with the quality and combinations of ingredients and do your research. Giver the meal the respect it deserves.


Are you active in any food movements? Slow Food, Terroir all of those sort of things.


What’s your favourite way to incorporate cheese in your dishes? Everywhere and anywhere.... Thunder Oaks with Dandelion and Lemon.



Anthony Walsh will be at Cheese Boutique this Saturday, May 2, between noon and 4pm to demonstrate how to whip up a fabulous dish with Cheese Boutique ingredients.


Anthony Walsh and team at last year's Festival

No comments:

Post a Comment