Jan 15, 2009

Cold/Hungry : Warmth/Stew

It is very, very cold outside


Getting warmer....


Perfectly Cozy

I followed This Recipe from jamieoliver.com, with a few changes to some of the ingredients. I took the suggestion to not brown the meat beforehand as I usually do, only coating it in a little flour. Instead of half a bottle of drinking wine I used Roland Red Cooking wine, and was sure to put in the Jerusalem artichokes which it lists as optional. Parsnips: snipped out altogether due to not having any. I cooked the stew with a sprig of the fresh rosemary and used less sage, which I chopped instead of adding whole.

The mixture of minced lemon zest, fresh rosemary and garlic made a fantastic final touch-- I considered forgoing this step but I'm glad I didn't, it really adds zing.

Most importantly, I used Cheese Boutique's Minimum 40 day dry-aged AAA stewing beef-- dark, remarkably dry out of the package, and quite tender. This alone would change the flavour and final result of the dish, as the meat is more aromatic and reached a state of tenderness earlier in the suggested cooking time.

I would say this is a good recipe worth trying. It has sweetness from the squash, an exotic nuttiness form the Jerusalem artichokes, and is satisfyingly rich with a nice balance of flavour from the wine and herbs.

I served it with a hearty, crusty loaf of fresh multi-grain bread from the CheeseB bakery counter and a glass of Australian Cabernet.

It is for meals like this that I almost enjoy the dead of winter!

Ingredients:

• a knob of butter
• 1 onion, peeled and chopped
• a handful of chopped fresh sage leaves
• 800g/1¾lb stewing steak, cut into 5cm/2 inch pieces
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• flour, to dust
• 4 carrots, peeled and halved
• ½ a butternut squash, halved, de-seeded and roughly diced
• several Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and halved
• 500g/1lb 2oz small potatoes
• 2 tablespoons tomato purée
• 1/2 cup Roland Red cooking wine
• 1/2 cup red drinking wine
• 285ml/½ pint beef or vegetable stock

• zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
• a handful of rosemary, leaves picked
• 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped

No comments:

Post a Comment