Sep 4, 2008

Heirloom Tomatoes are Here!

I couldn't help but notice all the shapes and colours of the Heirloom tomatoes at Cheese B yesterday... when tomatoes are good, they are very, very good. Keep those pale, flavourless mass-produced things away from me, I love a real tomato.

Those Big Red Ones, In-Store

There is an article about them from David Lee here in a recent issue of The Globe and Mail, with great tips and what looks like a wonderful recipe (which I must try!).

I selected three tomatoes of varying colours, some basil, and a hefty little brown paper sack of Italian Orzo from the Pasta Room. Then over to the Deli counter for further inspiration.

Got some olives, and was thinking maybe a nice grated hard cheese, but Agim, true to his title as "the Meat Guy", suggested the Lamb Merguez Sausage instead. And a very good suggestion it was-- it made the dish more hearty and, I don't know... exotic (he said "Moroccan"), but cheese would work well if you wanted to keep it vegetarian-friendly.

Tomatoes Pose Vainly, Orzo Reclines in Background


I cut the sausage into pieces and added them to a hot skillet with some olive oil. Nice Lamby fats are released as it sizzles, and as it neared the end of cooking time I added a clove of minced garlic and ground some pepper into that-- it smelled great. So much flavour. I mixed that into the Orzo along with a leeeetle more olive oil. Then combined it with the olives, chopped fresh Basil, lemon juice and salt.

Off the pasta goes into a serving dish.. and now to arrange the Stars of the Show, our colourful Heirlooms, with a garnish of basil, a drizzle of balsamic crema, and pepper.

So... mmmmm


The Orzo was a great backdrop for these ingredients-- a very good quality pasta that retains a nice al dente firmness.

The yellow tomato in particular was my favourite, exceptionally sweet. I think I have to go back and get more... who needs candy?

And so, here is the List of Ingredients (from Cheese Boutique of course!):

Assorted Heirloom Tomatoes
Lamb Merguez Sausages
Rustichella d'Abruzo Italian Orzo Pasta
Deli Olives

Fresh Basil
Garlic
Olive Oil
Lemon
Salt and Pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment